Dear Players and Parents
The annual Etienne Lewis Team trials will take place from 2-4 September 2022.
The first 2 letters went out to ALL players this week. If you did not receive your letter please send me your updated contact details via WhatsApp.
The following tournaments remain to qualify for this event:
30 July: 2022 Jacaranda Open Tournament – Entries CLOSED(60:60)
30 July 2022 D4 League Finals - Primary Schools only will count. They play 5 rounds. (60:60)
6 August: Tuks Junior Club Chess Development Tournament
9 August: 2022 Women’s Day Tournament (Ladies only)(55:55+5)
13+14 August: 2022 Alekhine FIDE Rated Open Tournament (60:60+30sec)
20 August 2022: D1 League Finals (60:60)
27 August 2022: Gauteng Schools League Finals (60:60)
Please look at the 2022 Team Requirements for the different age groups HERE: 2022 Requirements for Team Selection – Tshwane Chess
SAJCC Circular was just published – Please go through it carefully and book your accommodation in advance.
Clothing orders will open on 17 September.
** Please note that for a tournament to be rated it has to have at least 5 rounds. Any tournament with less than 5 rounds will not be rated and will thus not count towards Etienne Lewis invitation or merit points.
The SAJCC will take place from 3-9 December at the Wild Coast Sun in the Eastern Cape. The updated circular is not available yet, however, you can read more on the SAJCC website https://www.sajcc.co.za/.
We are aware that this still falls within the school term and we will email schools with the updated circular to gain their input on exam timetables as soon as we have the circular. Please ensure that we have your child’s school’s contact details.
- Please check that we have the correct details for your child.
- Check that your child has played the required number of tournaments to be invited to Etienne Lewis or if he / she still needs to enter one of the remaining tournaments in order to qualify.
- Check that you have adhered to the admin requirements:
- Annual Registration with Tshwane Chess Region https://www.cognitoforms.com/TshwaneChessRegion/_2022TshwaneChessRegistration
- Annual Registration with Chess SA https://www.cognitoforms.com/TshwaneChessRegion/_2022ChessSARegistration
- How do you search for your child’s Chess SA number? Go to Chess South Africa (chessa.co.za) Search for the player’s surname in the search box . The Chess SA ID is in the Second Column of the list. Unfortunately, I do not have time to search for each player who entered a 0 or other random word’s Chess SA ID therefore unless you are a new player, I will not be pulling in your entry if the correct information is not provided with tournament entries.
- Annual Registration with a Club affiliated with Tshwane Chess. (We do not have the membership lists from the clubs yet)
CLUBS – I need a spreadsheet with the following headings. It is the responsibility of the club to make sure that each player’s Chess SA ID is filled in before the list is sent to me.
HELP A FRIEND: if you know your friend’s child has also been waiting for this email please check if they have received their mail. If not then they need to contact me with their email and phone number so that I can update their child’s details.
President, Tournaments, SAJCC, Marketing: Tshwane Chess
The Latest Tshwane Chess Tournament Calendar for 2021 is available above. Please make sure that you save the new date for the Etienne Lewis Trials.
Please have a look at some of our You Tube Videos and let me know if there are any other topics you would like to see content on.
Please visit the Members Only section for an important update regarding the Etienne Lewis CLOSED Trials in September.
The Tshwane Chess Shop will have the following items for sale online from now onwards. Items can be collected at the Lubowski tournament.
- 40 Page Notation books – R45
- Basic Vinyl Chess Set with long club Bag (medium) – R220
- Basic Vinyl Chess Set with Premier Bag (Medium) – R390
- DGT 2010 chess clock (FIDE approved) – R890
- DGT 1002 Basic Chess Clock – R470.00
Gauteng North Inter-Region Medal shipment to your home R80 - https://tshwanechess.org/product-category/inter-region-medal-shipment/
- Lubowski Tournament 1 and 2 May (Entries Open) FIDE Rated sections A and B.
- Chris Greyling Tournament 8 May (Entries Open)
Come Join Silver Lakes Chess Club for a Training Session with Coach Reinhardt (Beginners up to 1000 rated players) and Coach Ben Hercules (1000+ or more competitive players) on Wednesday evening 21 April 2021.
Booking is Essential.
Entry Form for EFT Entries.
Silver Lakes Estate Club House
2021/04/21 at 17:45
2021/04/21 at 17:30
Covid – 19 Tournament Procedures
This past weekend Tshwane Chess hosted the biggest Online Inter Region Chess Tournament this country has ever seen! Players from Johannesburg Metro Chess, Ekurhuleni Chess, Westrand Chess, Bojanala Chess and Tshwane Chess all versed each other in their respective age group teams on Lichess.org.
All the Open A Teams, Girls Teams and Adult Teams played on Saturday 27 February 2021 and All the Open B Teams played on Sunday 28 February 2021.
Results from the tournament can be found on Chess-results.com.
Players were guided on how to set up for the tournament via various videos and newsletters before the tournament.
Tshwane Chess' Adult team won the Adult section and walked away with a handsome prize fund of R5000.
All other sections won medals for the first three teams which will be couriered to their regions.
Photos can be seen on our Facebook page.
Tshwane Chess is the official Chess organising body in the greater Pretoria area through which Club Chess, School Chess and Tournament in our area is administered and governed.
The Tshwane Chess Website (https://tshwanechess.org/) as well as the Gauteng North Chess website (http://www.gautengnorthchess.org/) is the only official place of publication for invitations, merit ranking lists, communication or documents.
You will be able to Complete and pay your annual registration, Book for Tournaments, and so much more on our new website.
We cannot wait to share our new site with you.